Sign on the dotted line – You have signed your lease for your new office space in the perfect location, now it’s time to organize and plan the move! Office relocating is not a simple or easy task. Relocating your office requires expertise, proper planning, and a qualified company to complete the move on time and on budget. Professional packing and shipping services, dismantling and re-installs, moving of specialty equipment and third party contracting are all services that need to be arranged. Halifax Transfer’s office relocation specialists can provide you with a tailored proposal for your move.
Below is a comprehensive checklist for your office relocation.
- Notify your landlord you will be relocating
- Tell your staff you are moving – date and location
- Reserve elevators and loading docks for moving day
- Notify of address change – clients, banks, insurance companies, utility companies, etc.
- Make a list of all existing furniture and have them packed and sorted by room for easier setup
- Order any new office furniture and equipment
- Get insurance for the move!
- Change locks/access codes on new premises as close to moving day as possible to secure access
- Arrange for listing on lobby directory of new building
- Arrange for post-move cleaning
- Organize a “staff moving committee” if appropriate and delegate responsibilities
- Plan and finalize seating plan and identify each location for office furniture/ employee workspace
- Schedule and implement a clean-up program (purge files, dispose of trash)
- Arrange for off-site storage of old files
- Arrange for staff to tour new premises a few weeks prior to move
- Distribute access cards and keys for new premises
- Remove computer equipment (server) and phone system prior to arrival of movers and commence reinstallation at new site
- Distribute new phone list and map showing the locations of departments
- Install and test all computers
- Transfer your insurance to the new location
- Obtain Certificates of Insurance from your insurance company
- Confirm termination of old leases
- Collect parking passes, security cards and keys for the old facility. Confirm the return of any deposits held by the landlord for these items
- Complete and file all warranty information for all new furniture and equipment
- Update fixed asset accounting system for any new furniture and equipment purchased
- Confirm the change-of-address corrections made
At Halifax Transfer we help plan every detail of your move so you can get back to business as soon as possible!